Homemade milk candy
Homemade dulce de leche is a delicious and popular culinary preparation originating from Latin America. It is made by slowly cooking milk and sugar until it has a creamy texture and golden color. Its caramelized flavor and versatility in desserts make it a favorite in home and regional cuisine.
• 1 liter of whole milk
• 250 g of sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
Before starting the homemade dulce de leche recipe, make sure you have all the ingredients ready and the necessary utensils clean for a smooth process.
1. Pour the milk into a large saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Add the sugar and mix well.
2. Once the milk is hot and the sugar has completely dissolved, add the baking soda. This will help prevent the milk from boiling over as it boils.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low and begin cooking the mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden or silicone spoon to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. This is a process that takes time and patience, as the milk will gradually thicken and acquire a golden color.
4. Cook the dulce de leche over low heat for approximately 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the mixture has reduced its volume by approximately half and has acquired a thick, creamy consistency. The time may vary depending on the amount of heat and the power of your stove.
5. Optionally, add vanilla essence and mix well.
6. Once the dulce de leche has reached the desired consistency and a caramelized color, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool slightly.
7. Transfer the dulce de leche to clean, sterilized jars. Let it cool completely before covering the jars.
8. You can store dulce de leche in the refrigerator and enjoy it in different desserts, such as pancakes, cakes, cookies or simply spread on bread.
Enjoy your delicious homemade dulce de leche! Remember that the process may take time, but the end result will be worth it.