French toast, also known as “pain perdu” in French, is a beloved breakfast dish enjoyed worldwide. To make this delectable treat, slices of bread are soaked in a mixture of beaten eggs, milk, and often flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, or nutmeg.
A couple of slices of bread.
A teaspoon of powdered or normal sugar.
A teaspoon of cinnamon.
50 milliliters of milk.
A piece of butter to spread on the pan or grill.
1. This recipe is best cooked on a griddle, although since I didn’t have one on hand I decided to use a frying pan, but use a non-stick one so the toasts don’t stick.
2. The first thing we are going to do is crack the egg into a deep plate and beat it. Next, add the sugar and cinnamon. We give it a couple of turns and add the milk to lighten the mixture a little and so that the bread soaks better.
3. Heat the frying pan or griddle and add the piece of butter and rub it all over the surface so that the toast doesn’t stick.
4. Next, dip the slices of bread in the egg and milk mixture on both sides. We wet them for a few seconds, let them get wet, but not too much, as they could fall apart.
5. The last step is to put them in the pan and give them a couple of turns. When we see that they are toasted on both sides, we take them out and they are ready to eat. We can accompany them with more sugar, syrup or jam.