Pumpkin flan is a delightful dessert that combines the rich flavors of pumpkin with the creamy texture of flan. This dessert typically consists of a caramelized sugar layer at the bottom of a baking dish, followed by a smooth custard mixture made from pumpkin puree, eggs, condensed milk, and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
●For the flan:
•500 ml of milk
•500 g of cooked or roasted pumpkin
•8 tablespoons of cornstarch
•4 tablespoons of sugar
•1/2 peel of a lemon
●For the caramel:
•5 tablespoons of sugar
•5 tablespoons of water
•1 splash of lemon juice
1. Peel the pumpkin, chop it and cook it in a saucepan with water until it is tender. If we prefer it roasted, we will put it in the oven preheated to 200º C in large unpeeled pieces and let it cook until it is tender.
2. In a mixer container, put the milk and sugar. If the pumpkin is very sweet, we will add less sugar. The sugar can be corrected later, so it is better to fall short than overdo it.
3. When the pumpkin is ready, we add it drained to the blender container (we will peel it and chop it if it is roasted). We beat together with the milk and sugar until the pumpkin is crushed.
4. We put a saucepan over medium heat and add about 2 fingers high of the previously beaten mixture. When it starts to boil, remove it from the heat and add the cornstarch spoonful by spoonful to dissolve it little by little, stirring constantly. We put the saucepan back on the heat, over low heat, add a little more of the batter and stir. We will repeat the last operation until we have poured all the batter little by little. The final mixture should be like a somewhat thick cream.
5. Before the mixture thickens, we will add the lemon peel, stir for 1 minute and remove.
6. To prepare the caramel, we will heat all the ingredients in a small frying pan or saucepan over low heat. We let it cook until the mixture changes color and becomes golden, not very dark.
7. In a large container or in several small ones for single doses, we pour the caramel at the bottom and then we pour the mixture that we had cooked with the cornstarch.
8. We let it cool in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. It is advisable to cover the containers so that the top of the dessert does not dry out.