The iceberg market is slightly higher as cold weather in the Arizona/California desert region stalls growth. Green leaf and romaine prices are fairly steady but are poised to rise in the coming weeks. Rain may curtail harvests on Thursday, December 30 and Friday, December 31.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Iceberg and Romaine are sporadic; Markon Best Available (MBA) is being substituted as needed due to light weights
- MFC Premium Green Leaf is readily available
- 0.15 – 0.35” of rain is forecast for Thursday, December 30 and Friday, December 31 in the desert growing regions
- Markon is working with suppliers to pack ahead of the rain to ensure orders are covered heading into the holiday weekend
- Quality is good: freeze-related blistering/peeling, fringe burn, growth cracking, mildew pressure, and seeder are potential problems
- Defects including bottom rot and premature pinking may develop in lettuce and leaf crops following the anticipated rain
- Expect active markets for the next two to three weeks until warmer weather arrives in the desert regions
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2021 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.